Single Qt codebase for kdeconnect

Pavel Borisov pzinin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 22:50:20 UTC 2015

Hello.
It looks unlikely from here that it is possible to distinguish a single
codebase for all sorts of platforms.

The highest support that we have from Qt library is undoubtedly Blackberry.
Although, Qt has Native Style for Android since 5.4 so presumably no
problem here from user's point of view.

The main problem of all the time is: Qt does not have a single unified
interface for services. On the other hand, kdeconnect must be in
background in order to receive incoming connections. So what we have now:
- Blackberry: complete Qt-based framework for services: the concept of
Headless Application:
http://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/cascades/device_platform/headless_apps/
- Android: not implemented yet: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-37221
- Windows RT: nothing

But even by the time related bug is fixed, we will have been
encountering a major problem: unification between Blackberry and Android
service framework (+ Windows).
It might end up with writing a middleware for service to be working.
Pretty much all I can say for now - not with current Qt release. It is
due to not only  my previous statements but also owing to this
Windows-related issue: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-40922

It might be more realistic to develop a separate client - at least for
now - for every platform. However it could be possible to have the same
client for everything without background service. A huge drawback.

--
Best regards, Pavel Borisov
Jabber ID: pashazz at gentoo.ru