Planning Keyboard Emulation Feature

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Jul 7 00:06:23 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Ahmed Ibrahim Khalil <
ahmedibrahimkhali at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm planning to add Keyboard emulation to KDEConnect.
>
> What I am thinking of is that, While the user is opening the Mousepad
> activity. And he begins to focus on a text field, in KDE (either via
> mousepad or via hardware mouse), The soft keyboard is shown on his phone
> automatically to begin typing, and all his key presses is written on the
> focused text field.
>
> If the user focuses out of the text field, the soft keyboard is hidden
> automatically from the phone.
>
> I tried to write a proof of concept to listen for the focus events in the
> whole KDE desktop, using the
> X Input Method, and setting the input focus on the XDefaultRootWindow to
> listen for FocusIn and FocusOut events, but nothing is fired.
>
> I'll post the code that I've tried [1], maybe someone could help me
> figuring out, how to listen for the focus events on all KDE desktop.
>

> Cheers
>
> [1] http://pastebin.com/6uq96KUr

Hi Ahmed,
I agree that this would be really nice, to get the keyboard when the focus
is received.

I'm pretty sure you can find your answer in the maiit code [1], or at least
use it as a way to retrieve this kind of data. Maliit is hte project they
created for the N9 keyboard, used by Plasma Active and Jolla. I'm unsure if
it shows a different keyboard per app or what, though.

Aleix

[1] https://github.com/maliit