KDE Connect and Plasma 5

Albert Vaca albertvaka at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 10:59:39 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 3:31 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to discuss a couple of things, that I think can be important
> for KDE Connect.
>
> First is when do we want to merge frameworks to master. I think that it's
> important that we start to have Plasma 5 in mind and I think one of the
> best ways is to start adopting Qt5 in our master branch. As you'll see,
> it's already available in the frameworks branch, we just need to get it to
> be master, so we can start trimming KDELibs4Support out. When do you want
> to do this? It would be good if all of us could still keep up with the
> development, especially Albert.

I would like to release a stable, last KDE 4.X version, probably including
the remote keyboard plugin together with some bug fixes, and from that
point on start working on the new Plasma 5.X version. We could do a little
sprint during the holidays to polish and release the 4.X version and even
start working on the Plasma 5 version :)

> Secondly, do we want to consider splitting the repository up? At some
> point we'll want to have a kdeconnect-plasma and a kdeconnect-core
> separately. At least we can do the separation in-repository, it can be
> interesting for the future of the project. For example, I think we should
> use the same code-base as much as possible when approaching further
> platforms (raspberry pi? windows? mac?).

We already have this split in-repository, don't we? The kdeconnect-core is
just a QApplication that exposes a dbus interface and has no GUI (well, it
emits notifications but that's it). Then we have the kdeconnect-kcm,
kdeconnect-plasmoid, kdeconnect-kio... that are just interfaces for Plasma
to that daemon. In case we have (hopefully soon) interfaces for Gnome or
Unity, they could re-use the kdeconnect-core as it is.

> Thoughts?
> Aleix

Albert Vaca