After working fine, audio is unavailable: "No output or input devices found"

Richard Troy rtroy at ScienceTools.com
Wed Sep 20 17:55:48 BST 2023

Hi again, YES, replying to my own posting!

The reson is I read in a stackexchange article where someone solved this
problem and before I follow its advice, I figured I'd get a second
opinion.

The detail is below my original post:

On Wed, 20 Sep 2023, Richard Troy wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to the KDE community and have found it's both large and welcoming!
> And someone pointed me here as one of the places to ask about this problem.
> Here's my scenario:
>
> Fedora Server 38, fresh installation, NO GNOME (!!), then an installation of
> KDE with a few utilities from other distributions. At this point I had
> rhythmbox working just fine.
>
> The next morning, rhythmbox NOT running, so I don't know WHEN the problem
> occurred and therefore exactly what changed, but to finish things off, I
> needed to add some scanner software, didn't know much about the available
> packates so I installed a number of packages for testing, including two
> non-scanner-related packages:
>
>   gimp   skanlite   sane   gscan2pdf   simple-scan   kdenlive
>
> I also had mounted some NFS disks from the local net and needed to update the
> system's authorization files, so I moved in configurations for a number of
> other users and groups so that the file permissions information is all
> available on this box (I run a modest server farm). It's possible but
> unlikely I botched the auth-files somehow.
>
> OH, and if it might matter: I've had SERIOUS problems with "Wayland", I can't
> even log in successfully with it - the session always crashes - yet KDE's
> cog-wheel type icon there during login somehow disappeared, thus taking the
> "Xorg" login option away, and so, not taking the time to do it better, I'm
> now logging in to "multi-user mode" (textually,) and then running xinit with
> a pointer to the KDE startup program. This works fine but it does change the
> ownership of some running processes from root to my user-id. AND, notably, I
> was running rhythmbox and playing music as I worked  after having done this,
> so I think it's unlikely it's related to this audio problem, but I don't
> really know that.
>
> Later, when I decided to play something, I discovered that the speaker icon
> on the lower right has a red slash across it and when mouse-hovered over it
> says: "No output or input devices found"
>
> Since then I've done a LOT of homework, including swapping out the whole
> operating system disk for one from one of the server systems, and thus proved
> the hardware is just fine.
>
> Along the way I found that there was a conflicting version of piperwire,
> namely:
>
> - package pipewire-pulseaudio-0.3.80-1.fc38.x86_64 from @System conflicts
>   with pulseaudio provided by pulseaudio-16.1-4.fc38.x86_64 from fedora
>
> So I fixed that.
>
> Some software packages claim there's no audio hardware, but alsactl says
> there are either two or three "cards", depending on whether or not I've got a
> USB based plug-and-play controller plugged in. The other two are HDMI, and
> "Realtek ACL1220". There are SIX HDMI-capable monitors (all connected via
> "displayport" connectors - more on that in a moment), and while I've NEVER
> [...]

Their recommendation was:

dnf groupupdate multimedia --setop=”install_weak_deps=False”
--exclude=PackageKit-gstreamer-plugin --allowerasing

I tried it so far as to get to the yes/no question so I could see what it
does - it wants to install and remove as follows:

Installing group/module packages:
  ffmpeg                     x86_64 6.0-11.fc38     rpmfusion-free-updates
  gstreamer1-plugin-libav    x86_64 1.22.5-1.fc38   updates
  gstreamer1-plugin-openh264 x86_64 1.22.1-1.fc38   fedora-cisco-openh264
  gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld
                             x86_64 1:1.22.5-1.fc38 rpmfusion-free-updates
  gstreamer1-plugins-ugly    x86_64 1:1.22.5-1.fc38 rpmfusion-free-updates
  libheif-freeworld          x86_64 1.16.2-1.fc38   rpmfusion-free-updates
  pipewire-gstreamer         x86_64 0.3.80-1.fc38   updates
  pipewire-pulseaudio        x86_64 0.3.80-1.fc38   updates
  pipewire-utils             x86_64 0.3.80-1.fc38   updates
  qt5-qtwebengine-freeworld  x86_64 5.15.12-4.fc38  rpmfusion-free-updates

Installing dependencies:
  ffmpeg-libs                x86_64 6.0-11.fc38     rpmfusion-free-updates
  gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-free
                             x86_64 1.22.5-1.fc38   updates
  libavdevice                x86_64 6.0-11.fc38     rpmfusion-free-updates
  libde265                   x86_64 1.0.12-1.fc38   rpmfusion-free-updates
  libfreeaptx                x86_64 0.1.1-4.fc37    rpmfusion-free
  librtmp                    x86_64 2.4-22.20190330.gitc5f04a5.fc37
                                                    rpmfusion-free
  mjpegtools-libs            x86_64 2.2.1-3.fc37    rpmfusion-free
  pipewire-codec-aptx        x86_64 0.3.79-1.fc38   rpmfusion-free-updates
  svt-hevc-libs              x86_64 1.5.1-4.fc37    rpmfusion-free

Installing weak dependencies:
  vmaf-models                noarch 2.3.0-5.fc38    fedora
Removing dependent packages:
  ffmpeg-free                x86_64 6.0-4.fc38      @updates
  libavcodec-free            x86_64 6.0-4.fc38      @updates
  libavdevice-free           x86_64 6.0-4.fc38      @updates
  libavfilter-free           x86_64 6.0-4.fc38      @updates
  libavformat-free           x86_64 6.0-4.fc38      @updates
  libavutil-free             x86_64 6.0-4.fc38      @updates
  libpostproc-free           x86_64 6.0-4.fc38      @updates
  libswresample-free         x86_64 6.0-4.fc38      @updates
  libswscale-free            x86_64 6.0-4.fc38      @updates
  pulseaudio                 x86_64 16.1-4.fc38     @fedora
  pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
                             x86_64 16.1-4.fc38     @fedora

I'm not thrilled about the rpmfusion stuff, but I need this fixed...

Thanks for any help,
Richard