May 30th 2022, Google and IMAP

Patrick Nagel mail at patrick-nagel.net
Fri Mar 4 15:01:37 GMT 2022

Hi,

On Friday, 4 March 2022 12:53:35 CET Renรฉ J.V. Bertin wrote:
> So it appears that on May 30th Google is going to cut off "good old" IMAP access to GMail (as if email is such an inherently secure medium that you really need that additional login security...). If I hadn't come to depend on having around 15Gb of free remote email storage with (remote filtering into) lots of folders I'd jump ship now, but I wouldn't really know where.
>
> I suppose KMail5 will continue to work, but not KMail4 which I still vastly prefer. I know some of you use claws as a fallback ... what options will there be to continue to use a traditional imap client with GMail?

I guess you're referring to Google forcing OAuth instead of username/password authentication? Care to post a link to that announcement?

Pretty sure there is a way to make KMail4 work as well with OAuth. Probably something like https://github.com/oauth2-proxy/oauth2-proxy should work. But then again, what's wrong with KMail5? ๐Ÿ˜€ (it can even insert emojis, see? ๐Ÿ˜‰)

Patrick.