Years later, kmail still is not a viable email client?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Oct 17 20:33:19 BST 2020

Stakanov wrote:
> I guess unless you do not state exactly version of software and plasma,
> distribution and setting you do apply (port, ssl/tls or starttls) you will not
> really have an answer I am afraid.

Here's additional information:

Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.70.0
Qt Version: 5.14.2
Kernel Version: 5.8.0-3-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor
Memory: 31.3 GiB of RAM

I tried Settings -> "Add Account..." and specified the following on each page of the
wizard:

Page 1: I specified my name, email address, and account password. I turned off "Find
provider settings on the Internet".

Page 2: Turned off "Secure outgoing emails, if possible" and selected "No key" for
"Select key for this account:". This automatically disabled and dimmed "Publish this
key on public key server".

Page 3: Select Account Type: Generic IMAP Email Server

Page 4: I specified my username, incoming server, and outgoing server. I left
"Download all messages for offline use" unchecked.

I'm not keen to post complete credentials information here. I was never asked about
connection encryption options (SSL/TLS, StartTLS) nor connection ports for either
IMAP nor SMTP connections. I believe that the wizard should figure those things out,
picking reasonable options in order to successfully connect to my IMAP and SMTP
servers with the credentials I supplied. This is what other MUAs do and (at least for
Thunderbird) it appears to work.

I'm sure that these servers are up and running, I'm successfully using them both to
receive posts to this mailing list and to send this post to the list.