Konqueror for mac

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 12:36:38 BST 2020

On Tuesday June 16 2020 05:09:58 Draciron Smith wrote:

>> Rysnch works when I'm not botching the command. I'm just looking for a 1

Compose and test it once, stick it in a script and run that via cron or something of the sort?

>Time Machine didn't impress me at all. I ran it for a time when I first
>started using a Mac.

It's saved me a couple of times, including when a KF5 frameworks autotest started deleting my /Applications folder ...

>KDE4 worked great. I cannot see ONE thing I thought was an improvement over
>KDE4 in KDE5.

A number of apps have more than improved (including KDevelop), but even outside of that, Qt5 has lots of improvements over Qt4. Most Qt4 app will run leaner and meaner when converted to Qt5.
The only KDE4 apps I still run regularly that are not direct components of the Plasma4 shell are Kontact (KMail & KNode) and Konsole (for 1 of my terminals, just in case Konsole5 messes up, which it hasn't for years). All other apps I use are either the KDE5 versions, or not based on KDE at all.

>I am a power user. I do a LOT of things on a computer and do a lot

I am too (different domains from the looks of it). Yet my Linux rig is a notebook that must be getting close to being 4 years old now, has only an N3150 CPU and a 500Gb SSHD harddrive, on which I run a hand-upgraded Kubuntu 14.04 with currently a 4.14.x kernel installed onto ZFS, all with the max.of 8Gb RAM. 4Gb RAM hasn't been enough to work comfortably for me for years, even when Plasma4 was still hot and actual.

KDE is falling victim to its own success ... with developers. Mostly unpaid developers, who do it for the fame and glory and the possibility to implement and research exciting new techniques. In that context it makes sense not to care about resource usage, because the hardware is known to follow (Moore's Law, IIRC). And apparently KDE really has to make it "to mobile", and us desktop users just have to accept the fallout (make the desktop look and feel like a mobile device, i.e. to QML, instead of the opposite). Catering to people like us who want or need to make the most of their older hardware becomes a concern of the distributions, and there are a few who do care (MX Linux seems promising).

The big problem with KDE/Plasma4 is that Qt4 is no longer supported nor maintained. It's unlikely to break soon on Linux/X11 but security holes will open and continue to grow in its networking components, something that's hard to accept for serious distributions. So Plasma4 is bound to die off unless a group of enthusiasts pick up the pieces like others did with Qt3/KDE3. If that hasn't already happened I fear it just never will.