Konqueror for mac

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 09:13:19 BST 2020

On Tuesday June 09 2020 22:50:13 YELDA KADiOGLU wrote:
>Hi, i have used Konqueror in linux and love it but i couldnt find its
>version for mac, is it possible to use it in mac?

Not easily. You may find a more or less crippled version in HomeBrew, or you could go through the lengthy process of using my MacPorts custom ports tree to get a less crippled (but probably less up-to-date) version (but that does use an up-to-date QtWebKit-rebooted version).

As a web browser, Konqueror is rather strongly inspired by (or at least looks a lot like) the Safari versions of its time, and the original HTML engine (KHTML) is even at the basis of the WebKit engine used in Safari. Nowadays I think most users will use Konqueror with the QtWebEngine backend, which makes it just another Chromium clone, with an engine that is only as up-to-date as Qt and the Linux distribution allow and that is too complete overkill for quick browsing of, say, local documentation in HTML format.

If you're looking to use it as a web browser on Mac, just stick with Safari (or, if you use an older OS X version like I, use Firefox Developer Edition). Konqueror's other functions on Linux are largely moot and tricky to deploy on Mac (but then I never really got their point on Linux either).

R.