When there will full-color systray icons?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 14:09:39 BST 2019

On Thursday April 04 2019 13:24:22 Aleksey Midenkov wrote:

> René, I'd like to see full-color systray icons (not just 2-color flat
> style)

2-tone (black and white aren't colours technically speaking ;)) would probably be Breeze. Oxygen has grayscale, i.e. range-of-gray icons.

> like they were used before this monochrome madness conquered the
> world.

For the record, monochrome was the norm long before colour even became available. And even now interfaces that are really well thought out and designed to be as unobtrusive ("professional") as possible use as little colour as possible. Apple's OS remains a great example despite the fact that it has been following or even setting the flatness hype after first going a bit overboard in the opposite direction.

Colour accents can be useful, but for your WiFi connection strenght suggestion we're probably not talking about an icon approach.

The KIconThemes framework has API for creating effects on existing icons; applying colour is probably going to be a lot easier on a monochrome substrate. But that's something that would have to be done by the application that puts up the systray thingy, not by the icon theme.

> For battery I'd like to see it green when it's 100-75%, yellow when
> it's 74-30% and red when it's below 30% or something like that. For Wifi
> connection same approach. And I hate b/w scissors picture for Klipper, I
> just can't use it like that.

The magic reply around here to this kind of remark is usually "Patches welcome"...

> Colorful icon for it is much better.

I disagree, and I don't even have colour vision issues.

There's a KDE Visual Design Group and I think they have their own ML.

R.