swap (was: Re: disable akonadi)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 10:21:48 BST 2018

On Monday September 03 2018 10:47:01 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

>Anyway: The best way of using swap is actually not using it even when

Well, DOH(OHOHOHO) ...

Not sure how you'd avoid that other than by NOT having any, though, on the kind of system I'm used to (laptops with 8 or 16Gb max). You're talking about machines that are in a completely different ballpark, I cannot even begin to imagine what it'd be like to work with a system that has more than 32Gb of RAM.
I've always heard (and seen confirmed) that adding more RAM is only a way of postponing the moment you start using swap, but I can imagine there's a RAM threshold above which that rule no longer applies. As I said already, I'm rarely seeing swap usage on my Mac since I upgraded to an OS X version that does RAM compression, though I still have to run memory cleans regularly (more so when sessions age).

Of course everything I relate is based on HDDs (I'd be curious to know how SSHDs handle swap data, btw - do you benefit from the SSD cache there?).

Oh, and of course the 2x guideline is for the initial set-up and of course you're only going to be dedicating a relatively small portion of your disk for the purpose.