disable akonadi

Draciron Smith draciron at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 09:03:25 BST 2018

I've been using 1 for 1 for on my swap partitions for about 15 years now
and not really had issues, but it probably is a good idea to switch to 2
for 1 as you suggest.

I don't use ANY Akondi apps. None, zero, zilch. The memory problems start
at boot before I've even opened an application.  Not sure what I would
configure on Calendar. I was under the impression that if you open ANY
Akondi enabled app it brings the whole Akondi system up. Why would I want
to do that since I do not use any of the apps?  Kmail is the only one I'd
be tempted to use and only to read archived mail on rare occasion.

Yes Chrome can eat some RAM. Though the cost per tab is pretty small with
Chrome and is quickly recovered when the tab is closed. One of my gripes
with FF is that you don't recover the memory from a tab until you close the
window that held the tab from what I can tell.  I tend to keep my add ons
down to a minimum.

Actually it's not a problem with Akondi disabled. It's a little slow on
only 2 gigs. On 4 gigs I suspect it will be fine. With KDE 4 I do it every
day all day on only 4 gigs of RAM. Linux is a superb multi-tasker and
usually handles memory very gracefully.