disable akonadi

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 12:39:20 BST 2018

On Sunday September 02 2018 13:09:25 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> was so annoyed by it, but with mlocate I hardly ever noticed it. Not
> that I see much point in using hard disks as storage for hot data of
> laptops or desktops anymore.

Size-to-price ratio. Last I checked I could get a reliable and (proportionally) fast 1Tb 2.5" HDD for about 80€, slightly more for hybrids (although I got one of those in my 300€ Clevo notebook).
I bought a small (64Gb) SSD last year for about 50€ (I forget what the form-factor is called) for use as a work/build disk over USB3. Turns out it is actually slower than all my other HDDs except for certain read operations.

But this thread is not about such things, nor memory usage (except possibly by akonadi). As such I consider it irrelevant enough to cite precise numbers to bother getting them, again except when pertaining to akonadi. But if you have to know, the Chrome/Firefox numbers I cited come from the Memory Clean utility on Mac. They reflect actual resident (possibly compressed) memory of the main process, evidently using Mb but don't ask me which flavour. Chrome is at the latest version for 10.9, Firefox is the Developer Edition (63b2 ATM). FF being a secondary browser it normally has only a single tab open and way fewer extensions installed