disable akonadi

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Sep 2 12:09:25 BST 2018

Duncan - 02.09.18, 11:04:
> René J.V. Bertin posted on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 10:29:02 +0200 as
excerpted:
> > On Saturday September 01 2018 01:09:23 Duncan wrote:
> >>Other than some metadata for images, etc, which I can get other ways
> >>if I need it, I don't miss it.  Rather the opposite as the system's
> >>*SO* much faster and less bloated, now! =:^)
> >>
> > Funny. I rarely use the feature under KDE, but on my Mac I do
> > appreciate the equivalent called Spotlight a few times a week. Of
> > course you hardly notice it's there most of the time.
> >
> > OTOH, I use KMail (4.1x) on both KDE and Mac, and on the Mac I do
> > miss being able to do useful searches in my email. Not enough to
> > have delved in to figure out why I can only search email headers,
> > not content - the fact my KDE desktop is never far away must have
> > something to do with that
> >
> > OTOH2: the locate database gets rebuilt once a day on my Linux,
> > typically when I wake the system in the morning - and that's really
> > noticeable.
>
> Do you find that you actually use locate enough to be worth the
> trouble of the constant updates?  I never did here, and that was back
> on slow spinning rust, and ssd makes real-time searches even faster.
> Seriously, between the fact that I make reasonable use of the
> directory tree to organize things, and databases such as the
> installed-package database I can query for some files, even if I
> don't know exactly where something is, I can normally narrow it down
> far enough that a real-time search is fast /enough/ that the constant
> database updates, even when I /don't/ use them, simply aren't worth
> the trouble, for as little as I'd actually use them.

For me mlocate has solved all the regular locate updating issues for
good. It only looks into directories that have actually changed on an
update run.

I had locate updating scheduled weekly on harddisk based laptop, cause I
was so annoyed by it, but with mlocate I hardly ever noticed it. Not
that I see much point in using hard disks as storage for hot data of
laptops or desktops anymore. Using an SSD is much more important than
using the latest and greatest CPU (which IMHO are quite crappy,
especially the Intel ones, see Meltdown/Spectre, but even Sandybridge is
already affected by that mess).

--
Martin