disable akonadi

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Sep 2 10:04:14 BST 2018

René J.V. Bertin posted on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 10:29:02 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Saturday September 01 2018 01:09:23 Duncan wrote:
>
>>Other than some metadata for images, etc, which I can get other ways if
>>I need it, I don't miss it.  Rather the opposite as the system's *SO*
>>much faster and less bloated, now! =:^)
>
> Funny. I rarely use the feature under KDE, but on my Mac I do appreciate
> the equivalent called Spotlight a few times a week. Of course you hardly
> notice it's there most of the time.
>
> OTOH, I use KMail (4.1x) on both KDE and Mac, and on the Mac I do miss
> being able to do useful searches in my email. Not enough to have delved
> in to figure out why I can only search email headers, not content - the
> fact my KDE desktop is never far away must have something to do with
> that :)

> OTOH2: the locate database gets rebuilt once a day on my Linux,
> typically when I wake the system in the morning - and that's really
> noticeable.

Do you find that you actually use locate enough to be worth the trouble
of the constant updates?  I never did here, and that was back on slow
spinning rust, and ssd makes real-time searches even faster.  Seriously,
between the fact that I make reasonable use of the directory tree to
organize things, and databases such as the installed-package database I
can query for some files, even if I don't know exactly where something
is, I can normally narrow it down far enough that a real-time search is
fast /enough/ that the constant database updates, even when I /don't/ use
them, simply aren't worth the trouble, for as little as I'd actually use
them.

And of course the mail (claws-mail, mh-dir hierarchial tree format) and
news (nntp, single-level flat dir for my nearly 2 GiB message-cache
archive of some text groups going back to 2002) messages can be grepped
as well.  Actually, the news archive would best justify database
indexing, as searching thru 2 GiB of text messages even on ssd can take
some time, but even there, I don't really do it often enough to justify
it having to constantly update.