disable akonadi

Draciron Smith draciron at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 03:51:57 BST 2018

My normal desktop is Chrome with 20-50 tabs open, on this machine it's KDE
4 so I had to switch to Open Office as Office Libre was super unstable. I
often have 7  to 10 documents open at same time as those Chrome tabs, plus
a Kate session with 3-10 docs in the Kate session plus misc apps such as
Dolphin, Krusader, Kconvert, Audacity, perhaps a few FF tabs and so on. I
do that on 4 gigs of ram and have for years.

On the first machine machine I put KDE 5 on, it only has 2 gigs of ram and
2 gig swap partition. It's sort of reflex for me to create swap partition
same size as ram. In hindsight I probably should have gone with a 4 gig
swap partition. With Akondi running it will even if I'm doing nothing on
that machine I will hear it start churning several hours after I boot it.
If I start putting a load on it then it craters rather quickly.

That's the thing. I am not using ANY Akondi agents. I use webmail clients
for email, my phone is my contact manager, I never use Knotes or any other
Akondi enabled apps.

Since I disabled Akondi I have no problem having several Office Libre
documents open at the same time as a dozen Chrome or FF tabs including
several that use Flash, as well as 2 to 5 PDF files open, Clemintine,
perhaps a Krusader or a few Dolphin windows and a Konsole session. I always
have a Konsole window open. First thing I do when I reboot. Since disabling
Akondi the only time I reboot is normal Kernel update reboots. Prior that I
might get a day or two before having to reboot, usually a cold boot using
the power button because it's churning so bad I can't even get to a console
window or SSH in to bring the machine down gracefully.

On this machine SSh server is running and I took down some stuff like Samba
and MySQL and I had Barrios installed but it was too heavy on resources for
my liking on this machine so I removed it. My original intent with this
machine was to essentially a jukebox and once I'm done figuring out if I
can continue using KDE or am going to be forced to switched to XFCE  I will
be building a few newer machines and this will go back to being primarily a
jukebox. My old Mac died however and I had to offload what I normally do on
the Mac to this 2 gig machine and with Akondi disabled it's a little slow
despite being a 7 year old Emachine that was low end even 7 years ago, but
gets the job done. I had 1.5 gigs of Ram consumed before I opened ANYTHING
with Akondi running. It essentially turned a 2 gig machine into a half gig
machine.

I'll agree with you on FF being more memory intensive. In fact is has a
rather large memory leak somewhere, especially when dealing with Flash
websites.  Which is the primary reason I switched to Chrome as primary
browser about 5 years ago. I still use FF for plugins that Chrome doesn't
have such as downloading videos, for secondary email accounts, things like
that. I don't usually leave it continuously running like I do Chrome which
stays up from about 10 seconds after I reboot until I reboot again or after
2 or 3 months I might kill it and restart it to recover memory lost to
memory leaks if a kernel update hasn't forced me to reboot in a few
months.  All my machines run 24/7.