disable akonadi

Draciron Smith draciron at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 16:34:02 BST 2018

The difference is night and day for me.  I'll get an app open, maybe a
music player, maybe a web browser. Open a 2nd app and the machine starts
churning. If I don't head strait for a konsole window and kill Akondi
processes I will wind up mashing the power button as it locks up so hard I
can't even get to a console window to kill processes or SSH in. With Akondi
shut down down I can can have 20 FF or Chrome tabs open, 4 or 5 Office
Libre tabs open, Clemintine up and playing tunes, a few Dolphin windows and
so on. If the machine gets slow I close a few things.  Until I put KDE 5 on
this machine the last time I had to reboot a Linux system by the power
button was years ago.

I was a bit leery of leaving Baloo running. I had to take out Neopunk on
KDE 4 systems because it was such an unnice resource hog. Not had those
issues with Baloo and I'll agree spotlight can be nice. I also run a Mac. I
use it mostly for recording,  primarily because it's near impossible to
find drivers for some of my break out boxes, effects pedals and such, as
well as Sound One which I love as a DAW. Audacity is a good basic DAW but I
sometimes need the more advanced features of Sound One and it doesn't cost
an arm and leg like Cubase and a whole lot easier to use. It's interface is
more like Audacity's and Cakewalk which is what I used back when I still
had a windoze machine for recording. I also wind up doing Skype and a few
other things that are much better supported on the Mac than Linux on the
Mac.