weird KDE printing Problem

Norbert Zawodsky norbert at zawodsky.at
Tue May 15 10:49:03 BST 2018

Am 2018-05-04 00:22 schrieb Michael Weghorn:
> Hi Norbert,
>
> since this does not really seem to be a question on development, I'd
> suggest to have the further discussion on the "kde" mailing list (meant
> for user questions, etc.) rather than "kde-devel".
>
> About your problem:
>
>> When printing from a KDE App, (tested with kwrite, kate, okular,gwenview), both printers are reported to have "US Letter" sized paper
>> loaded and the output is scaled down to fit on a Letter-sized sheet.
> KDE applications use the Qt print dialog. I'd usually also expect the
> page size to be initialized with the default value for the printer
> (marked with '*' in the lpoptions output).
> This has been fixed for the Qt print dialog a few months ago [1] and is
> going to be part of Qt 5.11, along with some other improvements to the
> print dialog (s. also [2]).
> Since your Qt version is older, that fix is probably not in there yet
> (unless openSUSE has backported it).
>
> I'm not sure what might have caused the switch from A4 to Letter in your
> case (maybe any change in '/etc/papersize' or the locale?).
>
>> Changing the papersize from Letter to A4 in the printer properties dialog is ignored and makes no difference.
> It may be helpful to see what options are finally passed to CUPS. For
> that, you can set 'LogLevel debug' in '/etc/cups/cupsd.conf', restart
> the cups service (command: 'sudo systemctl restart cups.service'), print
> again and have a look at the CUPS log (either /var/log/cups/error_log or
> the journal, depending on what the 'ErrorLog' directive is set to in
> '/etc/cups/cups-files.conf'.
>
> The line that shows the options passed to CUPS is indicated by 'argv[5]'.
>

> Regards,
>    Michael
>
> [1] https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/213677/
> [2] https://www.kdab.com/better-support-for-cups-features-in-qt-5-11/
>

> On 2018-05-03 12:53, Norbert Zawodsky wrote:
>> Hello Mailinglist!
>>
>> I wrote this topic already to another mailinglist and asked some of my
>> freinds. But no one seems to have the faintest idea what could cause
>> this problem or how to track it down. So maybe someone of you can help?

>> I have 2 HP Color Laserjets attached to the LAN. (192.168.1.131 and
>> 192.168.1.132)
>>
>> Now "lpoptions -p CP3525 -l" reports:
>>
>>    HPCollateSupported/Collation in Printer: True288 *False288
>>    HPOption_500_Sheet_Feeder_Tray3/Tray 3: *True False
>>    HPOption_Duplexer/Duplex Unit: *True False
>>    HPOption_Disk/Printer Disk: True *False
>>    HPOption_PaperPolicy/Paper Matching: *Prompt Scale Crop
>>    HPServicesWeb/Services on the Web: *SupportAndTroubleshooting
>> ProductManuals ColorPrintingAccessUsage OrderSupplies ShowMeHow
>>    HPServicesUtility/Device Maintenance: *DeviceAndSuppliesStatus
>>    Resolution/Printer Resolution: 600dpi *1200dpi
>>    PageSize/Page Size: Letter Legal Executive HalfLetter w612h936 4x6 5x7
>> 5x8 *A4 A5 A6 RA4 B5 B6 W283H425 w553h765 w522h737 w558h774
> [...]
Hi Michael,

I followed your suggestion regarding LogLevel debug:

I opened a small PDF with okular, Ctrl-P, Printdialog, selected printer
CP3525, Preselected paper-size was "Letter", changed to "A4", OK,...

The argv[5] line in cups-log says:

D [15/May/2018:11:08:28 +0200] [Job 10104] argv[5]="Collate finishings=3
fit-to-page HPBookletScaling=FitPage HPColorSmart=Manual
HPTextRGB=VividSRGB job-billing media=Letter number-up=1
number-up-layout=lrtb outputorder=normal page-bottom=12 page-left=12
page-right=12 page-top=12 portrait print-color-mode=blue
sides=two-sided-long-edge
job-uuid=urn:uuid:731b559f-44c9-3bab-6464-3db75f8345f3
job-originating-host-name=localhost time-at-creation=1526375308
time-at-processing=1526375308 Duplex=DuplexNoTumble PageSize=Letter"

So the wrong PageSize is passed to cups

Printing the same PDF by "lpr -P CP3525 my.pdf" from commandline
produves a correctly scaled A4 output and leads to this argv[5] entry:

D [15/May/2018:11:44:05 +0200] [Job 10105] argv[5]="finishings=3
HPBookletScaling=FitPage HPColorSmart=Manual HPTextRGB=VividSRGB
number-up=1 print-color-mode=blue
job-uuid=urn:uuid:c21cabca-dac3-3849-425c-ed17673bbcea job-originating
host-name=localhost time-at-creation=1526377445
time-at-processing=1526377445"

/etc/papersize is a 3 bytes file containing "a4"

regards,
Norbert