weird KDE printing Problem

Michael Weghorn m.weghorn at posteo.de
Thu May 3 23:22:12 BST 2018

Hi Norbert,

since this does not really seem to be a question on development, I'd
suggest to have the further discussion on the "kde" mailing list (meant
for user questions, etc.) rather than "kde-devel".

About your problem:

> When printing from a KDE App, (tested with kwrite, kate, okular,gwenview), both printers are reported to have "US Letter" sized paper
> loaded and the output is scaled down to fit on a Letter-sized sheet.

KDE applications use the Qt print dialog. I'd usually also expect the
page size to be initialized with the default value for the printer
(marked with '*' in the lpoptions output).
This has been fixed for the Qt print dialog a few months ago [1] and is
going to be part of Qt 5.11, along with some other improvements to the
print dialog (s. also [2]).
Since your Qt version is older, that fix is probably not in there yet
(unless openSUSE has backported it).

I'm not sure what might have caused the switch from A4 to Letter in your
case (maybe any change in '/etc/papersize' or the locale?).

> Changing the papersize from Letter to A4 in the printer properties dialog is ignored and makes no difference.

It may be helpful to see what options are finally passed to CUPS. For
that, you can set 'LogLevel debug' in '/etc/cups/cupsd.conf', restart
the cups service (command: 'sudo systemctl restart cups.service'), print
again and have a look at the CUPS log (either /var/log/cups/error_log or
the journal, depending on what the 'ErrorLog' directive is set to in
'/etc/cups/cups-files.conf'.

The line that shows the options passed to CUPS is indicated by 'argv[5]'.

Regards,
  Michael

[1] https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/213677/
[2] https://www.kdab.com/better-support-for-cups-features-in-qt-5-11/