KDE4 - Task Manager - not showing launcher icon?

Zaiwen Gong zgong at bnl.gov
Mon Mar 19 14:20:13 GMT 2018

Hi,

We are using KDE 4.10.4.

I have one question about the Task Manager widget (X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=org.kde.plasma.taskmanager).

When I add the Task manager widget to my panel, any applications I run(actually our own application) will not show the application's icon we specified in its .desktop file.

Instead, it will just display the same system icon (X with a circle)..

I already checked all below:

--Make sure the name of the .desktop file matches what the application sets as WM_CLASS window.

--Make sure that what's set as WM_CLASS makes sense and isn't something generic (e.g. "java").

--Adding a StartupWMClass key to the .desktop file if the above can't be done (with the value what's actually set as WM_CLASS).

As you know, none of those are strictly KDE-specific, it's about how an app is supposed to announce itself to a Linux desktop.

By doing the above, I got it to work in Gnome3, but still can't get it to work in KDE4.

Here is an example:

I have an application called "pet". I placed a file called pet.desktop under /usr/share/applications.

The content of pet.desktop looks like:

[Desktop Entry]
Terminal=false
Name=pet
Exec=pet
Type=Application
Icon=/usr/share/icons/pet.xpm
StartupWMClass=pet

When I run "pet" from terminal, the icon shown on the Task manager is not my pet icon. Instead it is the general system icon (X with a circle).

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Zaiwen