Dolphin loses UI settings when restarted

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 09:24:36 BST 2018

On Wednesday June 27 2018 08:57:58 Florian Lindner wrote:

>Only setting QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=kde makes dolphin crash at the first startup (second try always works) and sends kmail
>into in infinite loop at start, I already tried that some time ago.

That's strange, and probably a bug. The plasma integration plugin does not have runtime dependencies on anything that is only available through an active Plasma5 desktop, to my knowledge. At least you shouldn't get a crash in dolphin. If you only get it once it may indicate that something required isn't yet running and is started automatically, but you still shouldn't get a crash. If DrKonqi appears and gives a useable backtrace you could file a bug report for this.

>Setting also KDE_FULL_SESSION=1 and KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 makes it all work like a charm! Setttings are saved, file open
>dialoges are now really KDE and not some minmimalistic version and a number of other idiosyncrasies...

That is without setting QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME I presume?
In that case you get Qt's fallback internal implementation of the plasma-integration plugin, though I don't really understand how that can give you real KDE file dialogs.

>Is there some KDE wiki site that can be used to document that? Is https://userbase.kde.org the right place?

Presumably, or the forums. Cross your fingers though that this doesn't irk someone who feels that KDE look-and-feel should be exclusive to the Plasma desktop. I know there's at least 1 dev who already told me he planned to take down some comparable backdoor, "just because he could".

R.