Kmail without kdewallet?

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Mon Sep 18 11:53:01 BST 2017

On Monday, 18 September 2017 12:11:57 PM NZST Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2017-09-06, 23:58:24, cr wrote:
> > I'm running Kmail 5.2.3 and kdewallet under Debian 9.   Can I safely
> > uninstall kdewallet?   (Kmail is the only program I run that uses it).
> >
> > Reason is, I usually start Kmail on my server via ssh from some laptop or
> > other.   If I go to fetch mail from my ISP, Kmail opens a box for my ISP's
> > mail password (the same as my previous installation of Kmail 4 did).
> > However, IF I've previously logged in to my server, kdewallet opens a box
> > for its password on the server instead, which is a nuisance (and much
> > bafflement before I accidentally found this out).
>
> One option would be to authorize access to KWallet through the login
> procedure itself.
>
> There is a package for the kwallet PAM integration, which unlocks the wallet
> on login with the credentials provided to the login process.
>
> I've been using that (libpam-kwallet5) since I've switched to Plasma 5.
>
> Requires the wallet to have the same password as for login but very
> convenient to have it automatically unlocked at the begin of a session.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

I may have managed to solve it by similar means.

I reluctantly (in case it did something else horrible) installed Kwallet
Manager, and set the Kwallet password to blank (the mail password inside
Kwallet is still correct).   And now  Kmail goes and fetches mail without
opening a Kwallet password box and without asking for the mail password.

This is on my server, hopefully it will still work that way next time I ssh
in.

(I know it's a 'security hole' but only exactly the same, I think, as having
kwallet share my login password.   Which it already did anyway, as it
happened...)

Chris