Kmail without kdewallet?

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Wed Sep 6 12:58:24 BST 2017

I'm running Kmail 5.2.3 and kdewallet under Debian 9.   Can I safely uninstall
kdewallet?   (Kmail is the only program I run that uses it).

Reason is, I usually start Kmail on my server via ssh from some laptop or
other.   If I go to fetch mail from my ISP, Kmail opens a box for my ISP's
mail password (the same as my previous installation of Kmail 4 did).
However, IF I've previously logged in to my server, kdewallet opens a box for
its password on the server instead, which is a nuisance (and much bafflement
before I accidentally found this out).    (I recall Kmail 5 persuaded me to
install kdewallet when I installed it).

So I hope uninstalling kdewallet will just cause Kmail to open a mail password
box on my laptop each time.

Chris Rodliffe