What happened with fonts?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Oct 17 23:05:05 BST 2017

Aleksey Midenkov posted on Tue, 17 Oct 2017 12:21:36 +0300 as excerpted:

> After system upgrade window title font became enormously big. Changes of
> Window title in System Settings are ignored.

This is the second thread on this I've seen.  I can't say for sure
whether the first one was, but it must have been either one of the kde
lists (perhaps even this one), or on the plasma development list, which I
follow because I run live-git kde-frameworks/plasma/apps and which gets
CCed from plasma bugs filed on kde's bugzilla, plus the plasma-related
phabricator patch postings up for review before they get merged to the
various git repos, and it might actually have been a bug thread or
phabricator bug patch thread I'm remembering.

Actually, given that I remember clicking links to images illustrating the
problem in the thread, it's very likely I /was/ reading it on the plasma-
devel list, and thus that it was either a bug or a phabricator issue.

Meanwhile, I should say that I have NOT noticed the bug myself, in live-
git plasma/frameworks as I said, but that's likely explained by the
below...

Apparently the bug affects only certain window decorations, and the one
I'm running, BlackSquare from the kde store (get new window decorations
in the window decorations kcm, aka kcontrol module, aka kde system
settings module), isn't affected, because it's an aurora-based theme, and
according to the earlier thread, aurora-based themes aren't affected.

(I'm no windeco expert, and don't properly know to my own satisfaction
what aurora is or what makes it distinct enough from the other windeco
alternatives to not suffer from this bug (doing some research on it has
been on my low-priority to-do list for some time now, but being low
priority, it may remain there forever...), but based on browsing kdelook
and the kde store for years, it's apparently a quite popular windeco
"engine", that makes creating your own windecos reasonably easy, so much
so that there's a whole bunch of aurora-based windecos created by various
people, up on the kdestore, and kdelook, before that.)

On the bug/phabricator/whatever, the issue was somewhat different,
however.  There, the problem was not font size, but the fact that a
user's /bold/ settings weren't being honored appropriately.  As pointed
out by the user and as illustrated in the images, while the "bold"
setting did indeed make the font display slightly heavier, it was an
"emulated" (original user's word) bold, NOT the actual font in bold face
as shown in a few other images, from other elements of the UI.

IIRC font smoothing was also affected, tho it's possible I'm mixing that
up from a separate bug, or possibly a different report of the same one,
I'm not sure.

In any case, try choosing a different windeco (kde system settings,
application style, window decorations).  Plastik shouldn't be affected as
I /believe/ it's aurora-based.  Breeze is I believe the default and
affected.  Oxygen is the old kde/plasma4 default, and I'm not sure
whether it's affected or not.  Those are the three choices that normally
ship with plasma.  As mentioned, others can be downloaded, and I'm using
the aurora-based BlackSquare as downloaded from the store, here, which
doesn't seem to be affected.

I'll also see if I can find that other thread and post a link to it.