Being asked to run or open when I click on some files.

ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 14 13:49:58 GMT 2017

On Monday, 13 March 2017 13:39:22 GMT John_82 wrote:
> I usually use a right click to open files. When I click on them I expect
> them to run particularly .desktop files.
>
> Thought I might be able to fix this in associations expecting to see options
> such as launch, run, prompt or what ever but it seems to be build into kde
> and open then follows associations.
>
> Is there any way I can get rid of the prompt and just run them. Maybe a
> script that can be edited. The approach seems a bit nanny to me to be built
> in but could be a useful selectable option.
>
> John
> -
If you check the opensuse tumbleweed mailing list (subject Folder view and
prompting me when i click on an icon  (|Feb 10th)), i asked a similar
question.
It was a suspected regression but that wasn't true. Apparently this is a
feature that the desktop ignored.  I didn;t have to change anything because an
update fixed it.

This an answer provided by Wolfgang:

"The "regression" that Fabian mentioned is the feature itself, i.e. that it
will ask you for executing .desktop files on the desktop and there is no way to
mark them as "trusted".

I just noticed myself that dolphin 16.12.1 actually doesn't write this setting
though, seems to be a bug in dolphin.
You can edit ~/.config/kiorc yourself, change "behaviourOnLaunch=alwaysAsk" to
"behaviourOnLaunch=execute".

Or just tick the checkbox "Do not ask again" before you click on "Execute" in
that dialog that asks you whether you want to open or run the file. ;-)

OTOH, as Fabian mentioned already, 5.9.1 should be in the next TW snapshot and
contains a workaround that disables that confirmation dialog for desktop://
URLs specifically (i.e. .desktop files in the ~/Desktop/ folder, that are shown
on the desktop)."
--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170311
Qt: 5.7.1