[KDE4] what component does the screenlocking?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 10:42:37 GMT 2017

On Thursday March 2 2017 10:31:54 Duncan wrote:

>others will still have those one or two X-based apps they want/need to
>continue to run on a modern Linux/Wayland-based desktop a decade, even
>two, from now.

If you have picked up the clamour not so long ago when a rumour made the rounds that remote OpenGL support was being removed from X11 you know there's a whole rather vocal community that relies on X11 for their work.

OTOH, I know one of the XQuartz maintainers would be very much in favour of a Wayland port to Mac because according to him that would allow the use of X11 applications without needing XQuartz (which is a bit of a hack in terms of implementation).
And Wayland support is "almost" possible on Mac, IIRC there are just 2 missing kernel (sysctl) routines that prevent building Wayland 1.12 .

R.