[KDE4] what component does the screenlocking?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Mar 2 10:31:54 GMT 2017

René J.V. Bertin posted on Wed, 01 Mar 2017 09:40:53 +0100 as excerpted:

> I certainly hope that KDE desktops don't turn into open source OS X
> systems where you need to run an additional X server if you need to use
> X11 applications, be it local or remote. As long as X11 apps can still
> be used seemlessly (and older, not-so-graphically-capable hardware can
> still be used) I don't really care what the main displaying protocol is.
> This probably all depends on what options Qt provides, but possibly also
> on what Gnome does.

Note that I'm not yet running wayland here, so I don't have the actual
experience with it already that some will...

There's two possible ways to go.  I'm not sure what the default is, but I
can imagine different distros with different defaults, to emphasize ease-
of-use and lower resource use by setting up all legacy X apps to run in
the same nested X session inside wayland by default, or to emphasize the
better security that wayland apps get automatically, by running separate
nested X sessions for each X-based app by default.

Either way it should be possible to go the non-default route, but it'll
require a bit of extra work (setting another line in the *.desktop file,
for instance) that some users will never do on their own.

Regardless, I don't believe anyone's pretending that X-based apps won't
be around for quite some time still; even if all the freedomware apps get
wayland support (is anyone even working on that for gtk2?, or are gtk2-
based apps automatically legacy-X, much like I guess qt4-based apps are?
), there's going to be abandoned servantware apps, games, etc, that will
continue to require an X session as long as they continue to be used.
Tho I suppose eventually it'll be much like firing up DOSBox to run an
old DOS-based game (with its sub-1-MiB memory usage).  After decades of
X, yes, some users won't be running X apps at all in say five years, but
others will still have those one or two X-based apps they want/need to
continue to run on a modern Linux/Wayland-based desktop a decade, even
two, from now.