KDE (or X?) clipboard goes stupid

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sun Dec 10 18:34:54 GMT 2017

On Sunday, December 10, 2017 1:50:19 AM MST Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día sábado, diciembre 09, 2017 a las 01:17:31p. m. -0700, Stephen Dowdy
escribió:
> > There's a lot of "cut/paste" mechanisms in play.
> >
> > X11 has a Primary and Secondary buffer, but there's also a Clipboard.
> > selecting text via mouse in something like xterm puts that text into the
> > Primary buffer. Using CTRL-C/V uses the Clipboard.  (this is all
> > generalizations).
> >
> > You can use a tool like 'xsel' or 'xclip' to manipulate all three of those
> > buffers:>
> > To see what's in each buffer:
> >     for buf in primary secondary clipboard; do printf "\n[${buf}]\n"; xsel
> >     -o --${buf} ; done; printf "\n"
> For "my" xsel (xsel 0.04 23072002) the syntax was:
>
> for buf in PRIMARY SECONDARY CLIPBOARD; do printf "\n[${buf}]\n"; xsel -p -s
> ${buf} ; done; printf "\n"
>
> Thanks anyway for this pointer;
>
> 	matthias

For my xsel 1.2.0 it's possible to use one of -p, -s, or -b for Primary,
Secondary, or clipBoard selections.

Trying various combinations of selection and Ctrl-C I see that none of the
selections are affected.

Even though I don't use Thunderbird, but I do use SeaMonkey, on a hunch I
closed that window and the buffers appear to behave normally, even after re-
opening SeaMonkey. For now. But at least I know the culprit!

... or I thought I did... Just before sending this reply I tried again and
neither selection nor clipboard work, regardless of whether SeaMonkey is
running or not.