git server audit issue

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 22:33:54 BST 2017

Hi,

Where does one report issues with the central git server?

I just spent over 30 minutes trying to work around an auditing problem for a problem that I thought I had already resolved locally.
I had committed a file "foo.mm.orig" by accident in a local working copy, and removed it again 2 commits later when I realised what had happened. Fixing this obliged me to rewrite the entire history after that unhappy commit and was way more complicated than I find acceptable for something that shouldn't be an issue at all.
What if I had set up something intricate that relied on *.orig files, trying to upload it to the central repository when finalised? A warning about *.orig and *.rej files showing up in a repo could be useful, possibly even a rejection when such files appear in the HEAD, but I really don't see why you'd want to reject past commits in which they show up?!

R.