controlling location of trash on per-filesystem basis?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat May 14 06:36:05 BST 2016

René J.V. Bertin posted on Fri, 13 May 2016 17:41:58 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Friday May 13 2016 09:31:26 D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> I think I lived in hope that there were still enough old-style *NIX
>> people
>
> ? I must be a real dinosaur then, because to me "old-style *NIX" means
> no trash or file explorer at all, just ls and rm .
> That's what I do most of the time, and I don't even consider myself
> old-style ^^

As I posted earlier, that's pretty much my reaction too.  When I want to
delete, I want to (and do) delete.  If I don't want to delete, but
instead rename or move, that's what I want, and what I do.

Doesn't leave much room for this new-fangled trash stuff, other than to
configure it off and switch all the "delete key" shortcuts to actually do
what the key says, not simply move to trash.

Tho as I also said, very occasionally, if I actually happen to be doing
file management in a kde/x tool, I'll make use of "trash" for a
convenient temporary rename/move (say while bisecting down some config
bug from "somewhere in home" to "in this specific file").

Tho while I'm reasonably comfortable with ls/rm/mv/cp... I do a lot of my
file management and config editing in midnight commander, aka mc, and its
buildin but separately invokable mcedit.  Matter of fact, I recently
decided I didn't need kwrite any more, and uninstalled it, promoting the
mcedit (in a konsole window) file associations entry I had created long
ago, to top priority so it's what's opened by default when I want to view
or edit a text file.

I used to use dosshell (which was quite similar to MS Windows 1, but
survived into the early 9x era and I continued to use it in DOS mode past
that) similarly, back before MS jumped the shark with eXPrivacy and
pushed me off of them to Linux freedomware, to the point that I even
wrote a paper on it at some point.

Commander-type "semi-GUIs" are great, and mc's quite extensible with
scripts as well, something I make quite /extensive/ use of. =:^)