Status of IM applications in KDE

Francesco De Vita fradev at inventati.org
Sat Jul 23 12:22:12 BST 2016

Hello

In June I read this message [1] and a statement about the status of KDE
Telepathy got my attention:

> Now this project is effectively dead. It hasn't seen any real
> development for more than a year and basically is just on life
> support ever since the core team had to leave the project because of
> job and life constraints. The other factor is also the wide spread of
> mobile phones and mobile IM clients;

I didn't find any reply to the original message, so I'm now wondering
if there is no more interest for this application and if it is destined
to be abandoned.

IIRC, and please correct me if I'm wrong, KDE Telepathy should have
replaced Kopete but this doesn't seem to ever happened. Kopete seems to
be still alive but maybe also this application is on "life support".

So, is there a big plan for these applications or should we start
thinking to use something else?

Regards
Francesco

[1] https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-telepathy/2016-June/013159.html