screen energy saving stopped

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jul 21 00:34:17 BST 2016

Jerome Yuzyk posted on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:30:07 -0600 as excerpted:

> On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 03:06:53 PM Duncan wrote:
>> Marcelo Magno T. Sales posted on Tue, 19 Jul 2016 08:22:32 -0300 as
>> excerpted:
>>
>> > I'm facing the same problem in Kubuntu 14.04 with KDE 4.14.13, the
>> screen
>> > saver and energy saving both stopped working a few weeks ago. I can
>> still
>> > turn off the monitors manually, using xset dpms force off. I can also
>> start
>> > the screen saver manually, but neither one work automatically
>> > anymore. Tried:
>> >
>> > xset s on xset +dpms xset dpms 0 0 3600
>> >
>> > No luck. Eventually the screen saver and energy saving start working
>> > automatically again out of nothing, but soon they stop working again.
>> > If you find a solution, please post here.
>>
>> You're better than I'm seeing here...
>
> Well, just as mysteriously as it started, it stopped and back to normal
> again. I did nothing special except turn the monitor off before heading
> off to bed, and the next day after turning it back on all was good and
> continues to be.

I hate that sort of bug.  Because since "it fixed itself" I've no way to
know what was wrong and whether I have to worry about it happening again,
or what to try to do if it does.

But as they say, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  If it's working
now...

Meanwhile, I might have figured out my problem as well, tho I've not
tested it yet.  After I posted I was thinking about it, and remembered
that I had switched my X/radeon graphics config from using the default
(for my pre-TAHITI GPU) EXA acceleration arch, to glamor, which is the
default on TAHITI and newer.

I had tried that some time ago and had problems, so switched back to EXA,
but this time I haven't seen any (other) problems, so forgot I had
switched.  But thinking about it, the crash when powering monitors back
on after allowing them to power down with dpms, started about the same
time I switched to glamor.  So one of these days I'll try switching back
to EXA and see if dpms monitor power cycling works again after that.  If
so, I'll have a bug to file, tho it'd arguably be with X/radeon using
glamor, not with plasma.