Mounting storage media via plasma applet: no permission

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jul 21 00:19:14 BST 2016

Frank Steinmetzger posted on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 18:56:02 +0200 as excerpted:

> Hello fellows,
>
> a week or so ago I did the upgrade from 4.14 to 5.7.0. Once I got around
> all package-manager-related complications, the system is stable and
> works as expected for the most parts. I've not had a single crash yet.
> :)
>
> I have a teensy weensy problem with mounting removable storage media.
> In short form:
>
> A)
> - insert media
> - open Dolphin
> - click the media's item on the Places panel
>   -> the content is displayed and all is fine
>
> B)
> - insert media
> - use the appearing popup to display contents in Dolphin
>   -> I get permission denied message
> - open Dolphin
> - click the media's item
>   -> the content is displayed and a second Dolphin opens with the same
>   path
>
> Does this sound familiar to anyone?
>
> @Duncan: revdep-rebuild and @preserved-rebuild return empty results. ;)

Since my name was mentioned...

I have all the automagic mounting stuff turned off here, no policykit,
udisks, etc, installed.  If I want something mounted, I mount it.  When I
want it umounted, I umount it.  KDE/plasma-lite, in that regard and a
number of others.  (FWIW I patch plasma-workspace and plasma-desktop
sources to drop the baloo requirement.  There's a gentoo bug with the
patches for anyone else interested but the gentoo/kde project isn't, so
it's closed.)

So the degree to which I can be of help is rather limited.  However, the
problem reads to me like a missing polkit invocation in the failing
path.  I'd dig around to find the commandline used in both paths, and
compare them.  Presumably the failing one is missing the bit that invokes
polkit to get the permissions to do the mount.

With a bit of luck you can get confirmation here whether it works on
other distros (along with their upstream kde plasma and frameworks
release numbers).  You can also search kde bugzilla to see what comes up
there, and presuming it's not gentoo specific, can cc a bug or file a new
one if necessary.