Need help

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Jul 14 15:15:24 BST 2016

A good idea is to try some Qt tutorials first to get a hang of how Qt work ni
general, how to use the documentation, etc.

Then either check if you want to extend an application you are using yourself,
or find one that isn't too big.

When I started contributing to KDE 15 years ago I started with helping out at
KDE Games, testing, bug fixing, then smaller features.
Because working on Games is fun :)

Cheers,
Kevin

On Monday, 2016-07-11, 14:37:32, Dileep Sankhla wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu OS for the past one year and I can comfortably use the
> basic commands needed such as for installation and all. I just know C++
> between beginner-intermediate level and nothing beside that; I mean a
> little C and no other language besides that. What motivated me for KDE and
> Kubuntu is my rising interest for GUI and app development and the idea of
> FOSS. I have never seen a such a wide community and such a wide collection
> of apps. How should I begin? Please help.
>
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Dileep Sankhla composed on 2016-07-11 10:30 (UTC+0530):
> >

> > I'm new to KDE and Qt. I'm also comfortable with C++. What should I learn
> >
> >> in Qt framework first to get started with KDE contribution? How can a
> >> beginner like me contribute to KDE?
> >
> > P.S. I know this question requires a subjective answer but I really don't
> >
> >> know how to start. I just installed Kubuntu plasma desktop.
> >
> > Like for most things on the Internet, Google is your friend. Here are a
> > few it found for me:
> > http://kubuntu.org/contribute-to-kubuntu/
> > https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved
> > http://wiki.qt.io/Qt-Contribution-Guidelines
> >
> > Given that you've "just installed" Kubuntu, we might be able to be more
> > instructive by knowing a little more of your motivations and background,
> > such as whether you are also new to Linux, and if not, what besides C++
> > you
> > are comfortable with, and what attracted you to KDE and Kubuntu.
> >
> > Also:
> > what's going on. Might spot something you'd like to help with there too.
> > 2-register on https://bugs.kde.org/ if you haven't already, then take a
> > look through a query of open bugs. Maybe you'll spot something for which
> > you could provide a patch to fix.
> > --
> > "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
> > words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)
> >
> >  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!
> >
> > Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
KDE user support, developer mentoring