kwin (4.11.12) idle CPU usage

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 14:03:41 GMT 2016

Hi,

What is causing KWin to use about 2.6-3.6% CPU in top when I'm not interacting with the machine? From discussions like [https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6039108.html] I understand that it's the compositor, but I don't see what that component would do when it's supposed to do nothing.

My desktop is set to use GL 3.1 with the raster backend, "cheap" tearing prevention and colour correction enabled.  The only desktop effects I have enabled are:
- Translucency
- WindowGeometry
- Dialogue Parent
- Cover Switch
- Flip Switch
- Present Windows

Is any of those effects directly responsible for that CPU usage, despite applying only to very specific user actions? I know less than 4% CPU isn't much, but it's still a lot for a process that's supposed to be idle when the user is - and this is on a slow machine where every percent counts.

Thanks
René