Shortcuts stop working, application windows aren't showing anymore and the systray seems to freeze

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 19:15:15 GMT 2016

On Monday January 25 2016 17:44:28 Kevin Krammer wrote:

>Right, just checking that this goes through KDE factilities and the problem is
>not more low level.
>
>No idea though, sorry.

Are these things that go through kdeinit? Because that could explain the timeout-like behaviour you're seeing. If kdeinit5 somehow gets stuck waiting for a resource, requests to launch process through it will time out after a lapse that IIRC is a multiple of 10s, and then launch a new kdeinit5 (or was it klauncher?) instance.
If that's what is going on (and not, say, your disk going south), you should see it in cases like those 5 URLs that open all at the same time. If you request them to open with a short but noticeable interval (say about 1s) and they still open all at the same time those 5 requests were likely all blocked by something and unblocked when that something timed out.

This is somewhat intentionally vague as I've observed kdeinit or klauncher being restarted after 30-40s intervals but while experimenting with the kdeinit mechanism on OS X (so while probably relevant my observations are likely not representative).

R.