SOLVED: plasma-desktop-5.5.2: LayoutManager.js (and other *.js files) not found.

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at
Mon Jan 18 18:42:59 GMT 2016

Duncan posted on Thu, 31 Dec 2015 09:17:23 +0000 as excerpted:

> But while plasmashell started [...] I had no nice plasmoid widgets!
>  Instead, I see this text message printed on the background:
> Error loading QML file:
> file:///share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/
> main.qml:32:1:
> Script
> file:///share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/
> LayoutManager.js unavailable
> file:///share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/
> LayoutManager.js:
> File not found
> (Yes, that's /share/ not /usr/share on my system as I've done the /usr
> merge as a symlink: /usr -> . , so all the usual subdirs of /usr,
> including /usr/share, end up directly on / .)
> And only the error icon beside the message actually lets me
> context-click to get the standard desktop context menu.  Everywhere else
> on the desktop, it just gives me a default cut/copy/paste/etc context
> menu. Well, except for the "pancake" menu icon (that replaced kde4's
> cashew) in the corner.  It still works, but doesn't offer a way to start
> anything, etc, so the only launcher I have (besides the default alt-F2
> or alt-F3, whichever it is, runner) is in the context menu for that
> error icon.

While a user who was running kde on OpenSuSE as well and had the same 
problem there, commenting on the gentoo bug report I filed on this, 
steered me in the right direction -- plasma had problems with in-path 
symlinks, namely, the /usr -> . symlink I was using here, I didn't 
actually get a chance to verify that and file it as a kde bug, because...

After upgrading to kde-frameworks 5.18.0 (including the plasma framework 
package) and kde-plasma (including plasma-desktop) 5.5.3, everything 
"magically worked as it should. =:^)

And now, after a couple solid days of recustomizing, I'm finally up and 
operational on plasma5, with all the apps that I can switch, switched 
over to frameworks5. =:^)

So for others finding this on google or whatever, upgrading to either 
frameworks 5.18 or plasma 5.5.3, I'm not sure which, fixed it for me, and 
should for you as well, I hope. =:^)

Alternatively, if you're stuck on a distro that won't be upgrading kde 
for awhile, as a workaround, you'd need to arrange for the /usr/share/
plsama/plasmoids/ path to have no symlinks, perhaps using a mount or
bind-mount in place of the symlink, if you can't simply use subdirs.  
While I got the fix before I tried it, the other user used a mount in 
place of the symlink, to fix his problem, so it should work.

Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

This message is from the kde mailing list.
Account management:
More info:

More information about the kde mailing list