KDE Source Code

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Aug 21 11:02:51 BST 2016

On Sunday, 2016-08-21, 02:40:26, Duncan wrote:

> But I'd strongly suspect KDE 1.x was before svn, perhaps on cvs and
> perhaps on something predating even that.  If care wasn't deliberately
> and specifically taken in that first move off of whatever back then, and
> continuing thru today, to preserve those sources and that history, then
> it's very likely long lost to history, with the possible exception of
> some dev's backup on an old hard drive in some trunk in some attic,
> somewhere.

Yes, KDE used CVS before moving to Subversion.

At that time it was the one of the biggest if not biggest migration from CVS
to Subversion, estimated at taking several days to run.

Then some hardware vendor who decided to remain unnamed, temporarily lended a
machine so powerful it could do it in a couple of hours :-)

Just copying the current code would have been trivial, carrying over all the
history with tags, branches and everything made it such a huge task.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring