grouping tasks in taskbar

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed May 13 20:27:16 BST 2015

Gunther Clasen posted on Wed, 13 May 2015 11:41:14 +0100 as excerpted:

> Forgot to  ask: Is there a repository containing KDE 4.5 (or later) for
> CentOS 6.6? If so, please post a link. I couldn't find anything.

I've been out of the rpm world for over a decade now, but back when I was
on Mandrake (yes, it was that long ago), I had pretty good luck with
rpmfind.net .

  Search on something like kdelibs or kdebase (if unsplit, konsole or
konqueror or the like if split) that's pretty basic to kde, and take your
pick.  You will likely have to cross distro lines in ordered to get the
version you are looking for, and while I was always looking for something
near bleeding edge and Mandrake wasn't /that/ far behind, so I could do
say rawhide or whatever and potentially upgrade a few other deps as well,
it worked quite well.

But kde is pretty big, you're waaayyy back from leading edge, and you're
likely to need to either upgrade a whole bunch of stuff or potentially do
the source-rpm thing, since building from sources does allow more
flexibility in library deps.  The deps for something that big aren't
going to be easy.  Upgrading entire distro to el7 or fedora something, if
possible, will likely be easier.  But an entire distro upgrade may well
not be possible in your environment...

Someone with more recent experience on an rpm-based distro or better yet
long term support or enterprise edition rpm-based, if they reply of
course, may be a better guide.

(FWIW I've been on Gentoo since Mandrake.  Being a customizer and having
a reasonably strong machine for the building, that's the perfect distro
for me, and if it... and me... continue to be around, I can well imagine
myself still using it another 2-4 decades.  3 decades would put me near
80, and I suppose possibly in a nursing home...  But I recognize that
building from sources, even if automated, isn't for everyone, nor does
everyone want/need the customization I do; some people just want
something that works and don't want to mess with it that much.  For these
people, Gentoo isn't going to be the perfect match I have found it to be
for me.)