grouping tasks in taskbar

John Woodhouse a_johnlonger at yahoo.com
Wed May 13 16:15:41 BST 2015

Here's me on 4.10 and weird things still occur. One that gob smacked

was that the trash can doesn't behave as an ordinary icon on the

desktop and is perfectly happy to sit on top of another or maybe the

others can't detect that it is there. Pass

I also wonder why when I hot plug a hard drive of usb why find files
aka kfind has no problem finding all of the files that match a search
term - dolphin search - no. It's happy to miss some.

Plus the desktop needs rebooting via a log out at times but this has

not caused me any serious problems so far. Neither have one or two

desktop freezes, I have no idea what caused those or the need for

restarting kde.

From time to time the screen can't keep up with my typing rate. It
lags well behind and here's me using an HP Xeon workstation with
rather a lot of ram. Rebooting kde usually sorts that out.

Mail has never been a problem for me on 4. I still run kdepim3 and as

always it sits there doing it's job faultlessly, compacting and etc

just as it should.

The dreaded file index issues seem to have disappeared but have they?

Of late I notice a pregnant pause when I save files.

I don't seem to have any taskbar problems other than having again of

late to leave them where they happen to pop up when added. I don't seem

to be able to drag them where I want any more or couldn't last time

I tried.

When I look at the final result of kde4 all I really see is a different

method of presenting folders - that actually I don't use as I am happy

with my cluttered desktop and even use it for temp storage at times. I

don't see any real improvement from a usability point of view. Not

surprising really as windows is mature technology and re arranging how

various things look wont change that at all.

Could it be that KDE5 will happen for what was the probably the real

real reason for 4 - rather difficult to do any significant work on 3.

Grows like topsy etc. :-) I sometimes think that Linux's committee type

approach to additions is rather sensible.

No point bleating about kde releases being sub beta really because this

is part why there are distro's about. We use and report bugs.At some

point they get fixed - maybe. What disturbs me was that initial KDE4 was

in real terms unusable. OpenSuse put some in for us to look at. On the

next release it went full 4 along with the associated problems. I'm

glad they still left some 3 that could still be installed. Just goes

to show how shallow the changes really are - just candy really.

I here rumours about 5 going what is usually called upstream from the

desktop, sort of taking over from the lib people. Indexing nearly killed

kde other than for die hards and I can't help wondering what further

marauding in that general direction will do.

I also note that this mailing list is near dead compared with how it

used to be on 3.

:-) wow that was a long bleat.

John

-