grouping tasks in taskbar

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed May 13 05:45:36 BST 2015

Felix Miata posted on Tue, 12 May 2015 12:13:40 -0400 as excerpted:

> Gunther Clasen composed on 2015-05-12 15:46 (UTC+0100):
>
>> I'm using kde 4.3.4 btw.
>
> I see according to distrowatch.com CentOS 6.6 was released with 4.3.4
> only last October. That's puzzling. 4.3.4 is now more than five years
> old, rather new at its release, when KDE4 was quite buggy and lacking
> many KDE3 features.
> Likely grouping was broken or missing in 4.3.4. Try some distro with any
> more recent KDE4 version, or upgrading your KDE4 to something
> non-ancient.

Indeed.  I've argued all along that 4.2 was still alpha quality, 4.3
beta, (late) 4.4 rc, and (late) 4.5 /finally/ made it to reasonable
release quality.  (Late 4.6 was reasonably stable except for kdepim, but
they continued supporting kdepim 4.4 thru 4.7 and into 4.8, and 4.6 did
change a lot, switching off of hal, etc, so 4.5 would have been the
version for LTR-stable releases to go with, with 4.4 kdepim.)

Which would have been fine if 3.10 had remained supported thru 4.5, so
people could switch from release quality to release quality.
Unfortunately that didn't happen, as many kde devs were dropping further
development of 3.x, even for obvious bug fixes with patches submitted, by
4.2, and by 4.3, upstream support for kde3 had effectively disappeared,
despite 4.3 being beta quality at best.

So it's extremely puzzling that an LTR-stable release such as RHE/CentOS
would pick the still very beta kde 4.3, even five year later.  4.5 with
4.4 kdepim would have been a better choice.  But I guess they default to
gnome anyway, and don't really care so much about kde.  Oh, well...

So indeed, for anything but trivial kde users who normally default to
some other desktop, I'd strongly recommend finding something with kde 4.5
at least.  Anything else and you really are using beta quality software
at best.  It's simply not mature or polished, and that lack definitely
shows.

But... a kde user running CentOS 6.6 with a still effectively beta kde
4.3, five years after 4.3's release and with 4.5 from a year later
considered far better... probably doesn't have much choice in the
matter.  They run what they're given by the corporate/government/
university/whatever overlords.  So unfortunately there's likely not much
chance to do anything about it... except for change jobs/schools/whatever.