Folder View Browsing

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Jul 14 10:39:23 BST 2015

On Monday, 2015-07-13, 13:43:40, Anderson Gama wrote:
> Hello Everyone
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to use the FolderView to browser the
> folders.
>
> I mean, I tend to open several instances of Dolphin or Nautilus just to
> look for a file and end up letting them open. I would want to just go back
> to my desktop and use folderview to find those files, changing the folder
> that is being visualized by clicking on it (instead of changing the
> configuration). Something like a permanent Dolphin in a Desktop widget
> would also work.
>
> Do you understand what I mean? Is there something similar? if not, wouldn't
> it be worth developing?

I guess it would not be that complicated to make the folder view replace its
contents with that of a new folder on click, but there is currently no way to
navigate "up".

You could start discussing the idea on forums.kde.org, in the Brainstorm
section.

One alternative that you could try is to use a separate activity for your
filemanagers.

I.e. instead of switching to the desktop you would switch activity, so only
the filemanagers you had been using would be open.
Once you're done you would switch back to the main activity.

I use a similar workflow to switch between the main/work activity and
video/music playing.
A simple Windows+Tab "hides" all applications and shows the media players,
another Window+Tab and I am back.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring