About Kmid

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Feb 16 12:32:40 GMT 2015

Patrick Hobbis posted on Sat, 14 Feb 2015 19:09:26 -0800 as excerpted:

> Hello gang I am trying to build a small musician distro and really don't
> want wine and vanbasco.
>
> I was able to find a .deb and it installed on Ubuntu12.04 but in 14.04
> it says I am missing resources kdelids?????
>
> I could really use a .deb for Kmid that will work with Ubuntu 14.04 or
> some one to teach me to compile it, but if the resource is missing then
> what?
>
> Lost gang but love Kmid, the best midi karaoke player on linux.

Please don't post in HTML.  Plain text is good. =:^)  (You posted in
both.)

That "kdelids" is almost certainly a typo for kdelibs, thus explaining
why you can't find it! =:^(  If it wasn't your typo and the deb for it is
actually requiring "kdelids", then the package maintainer or whoever
threw together that deb must have typoed.

While I've never run a debian-based distro[1], most package management
systems have a way to "fake" a requirement, normally for the case of you
building it manually instead of installing a package, but usable in this
case to fake kdelids, since it's almost certainly kdelibs, which will be
installed if you're running anything kde-related at all.

The other alternative would be to rebuild the deb with the correct
requirements, and/or ask whoever built it to do so, filing a bug or
whatever, as necessary.

Of course if you're not running anything kde-based, kdelibs won't
normally be pulled in, but you should be able to install it, either
directly or by installing something else kde-based that pulls it in.

---
[1] I run the ebuild-script-based gentoo now and for over a decade, but
ran the rpm-based mandrake back when I first switched to freedomware
instead of accepting the authorization protocol eXPrivacy would have
required, from late 2001 to early 2004.  So even my rpm experience is now
a decade outdated, tho the general functionality is of course still
similar.