interesting comment from a poster on phoronix

Alex Barry alex.barry at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 13:32:57 BST 2015

I do agree that it's a non-issue, but from another perspective, linux is
notorious for version compatibility issues on a large-ish scale, so it
makes the concept of version numbers to be a little scary, especially for
non-developers.

That's not to say that the Phoronix post is right or wrong, but maybe the
KDE dev team needs to have a friendlier way to describe why some version
numbers bump?  Looking at large changelog-style lists isn't always the best
reading material, and maybe that's the scarier part for end-users.  They
just want to know if they update if that will break everything they have
set up, or if it's worth upgrading to get feature x.