interesting comment from a poster on phoronix

J. Leslie Turriff jlturriff at mail.com
Thu Aug 20 22:36:27 BST 2015

On Thursday 20 August 2015 13:27:07 Hussam Al-Tayeb wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-08-20 at 13:10 -0500, J. Leslie Turriff wrote:
> > On Thursday 20 August 2015 11:44:32 John Layt wrote:

> > > Now that is just trolling :-)
> >
> > 	True.  I'm still really unhappy about the KDE4 upgrade fiasco
> > and the lost
> > functionality that still plagues KDE beyond KDE3.
>
> what functionality did KDE4 miss?

	Mmm...that was a bad word choice; not so much lost as made more difficult to
use.  Things that were simple to do, like panel configuration, are now much
more complicated; I still haven't figured out how to make their backgrounds
totally transparent.  Some of the widgets are less configurable (removable
media, network manager) than they were...
	The removal of the Hicolor Classic icon set is very bad IMO; pastel icons are
not easy for me to distinguish; everyone's eyesight is not 20/20.  I presume
that they were removed because they weren't modern-looking enough; but the
people who work on the desktop's looks seem to be more interested in artistic
effects than usability.

> Things improved heavily throughout KDE4 lifecycle especially after the
> switch to baloo.
> I found KDE4 by 4.14.xx (with the patched akonadi) to be as perfect as
> a desktop can be (It ranked up there with XPSP3). I used to have weeks
> of uptime without memory increases or crashes or anything. The system
> resources footprint was minimal too.
	Perhaps I will have to try out kmail2 again; that was the big showstopper for
me; it turned my i7 system into a boat anchor.
	I've recently started using KDE4 Plasma again, since I heard it had become
more stable, but I still use a lot of the KDE3 apps.

		A Caution to Everybody

	Consider the Auk;
	Becoming extinct because he forgot how to fly, and could only walk.
	Consider man, who may well become extinct
	Because he forgot how to walk and learned how to fly before he thinked.

-- Ogden Nash