Dolphin does not show "extract here" menu

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 13 20:02:10 BST 2014

Carlos Luna posted on Tue, 13 May 2014 13:26:31 -0400 as excerpted:

> I have the next trouble:
> Into dolphin I quit of having the "extract here" menu, and even thoug
> I`ve read a lot about it and re installed zip, unzip, p7zip, ark etc. I
> keep whitout the extract here menu, Some clue please.

The file in question appears here (on gentoo, running the live-kde4
packages, rebuilt about a week ago and identified as kde 4.13.60) as:

/usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/ark_servicemenu.desktop

That file provides several entries under the extract submenu in the
context menu, including extract, extract archive here.

On gentoo at least, that file is provided by the ark package.

If you have that file, do you get the extract submenu in the context menu
of for instance a tar.xz or tar.bz2 file at all?  What about the compress
submenu in the context menu for about anything?  That's provided by a
different file, ark_addtoservicemenu.desktop, but it's located in the
same directory and provided by the ark package as well.

If both those files exist, perhaps the problem is your user config.  Have
you tried creating a new user without an existing kde configuration, to
see if the menu is missing, there?  Alternatively, when not in kde or
running dolphin, try renaming the ~/.kde (or possibly ~/.kde4, depending
on your distro) directory, restart kde, and see if that helps.