Kontact "unable to create calendar"

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Mar 8 21:43:03 GMT 2014

huw posted on Sat, 08 Mar 2014 14:57:49 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Sunday 02 Mar 2014 09:50:09 huw wrote:
>>
>> I seem to be on a really old version!
>
> I solved this, by the way.  It turns out that the version of Kontact
> (and Kmail) I was using didn't have some kind of kdepim groupware
> metapackage installed.  That also meant that it somehow doesn't use
> Akonadi; I thought that wasn't possible?
>
> Anyway, now I have the proper calendar application
>
> Kmail still isn't using Akonadi for some reason, and that's absolutely
> fine with me, since Akonadi is the cause of nearly every bug I've ever
> had with Kmail.

FWIW, that's almost certainly why you were using such an old version.
Kmail 1, as shipped with early kde4, wasn't akonadified yet.  Kmail2 is
the akonadified version, and first shipped with kdepim 4.6, tho kdepim
version numbers weren't synced with the monthly kde releases until 4.7,
and upstream support for kdepim 4.4 continued thru kde 4.7 and some
distros continued to ship it for 4.8 as well.  After 4.8 however, while a
few distros continue to ship the old kdepim 4.4 in ordered to avoid the
akonadification and yours is apparently one of them, it has gotten
increasingly difficult to do so as kdelibs and etc move on and various
minor bits break, plus it's old enough now few people consider it in
support contexts any more, thus the situation we saw here.

Anyway, if you're actually using the event calendar and etc, then a newer
kdepim may eventually make sense for you, particularly a later one like
kde 4.12, since (they claim, I won't touch kdepim at all these days so I
wouldn't personally know) many of the bugs have been worked out by now,
and the kdepim suite integration akonadi makes possible can be considered
a bonus in that situation.

But it still doesn't make sense for the people who pretty much only used
kmail, and for whom the rest of the groupware is simply bloatware.
That's why many of us have moved to other solutions.  I and others have
been quite happy with the gtk-based claws-mail (the migration was a pain
but I've been very happy I did it), and others have switched to
thunderbird.  I've seen a few that switched to evolution, but since
that's basically groupware too, particularly for people who prefer to
stick with a kde desktop in general, that's a lot of extra bloat too,
since it brings in much more of gnome.