Kontact "unable to create calendar"

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Mar 1 12:52:11 GMT 2014

On Saturday, 2014-03-01, 07:27:46, huw wrote:
> On Friday 28 Feb 2014 08:49:37 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Friday, 2014-02-28, 00:26:35, huw wrote:
> > > I've just installed SolydXK, KDE version, which is based on Debian
> > > unstable. I'm using Kontact 1.13.7 and KDE 4.12.1.  I backed up my
> > > previous calendar, and now I can't import it.  If I try and import it as
> > > a new calendar I get "unable to create calendar ~/icalout.ics".
> > >
> > > If I try to merge it with an existing calendar (which as yet has nothing
> > > in it) I get a different error popup which keeps popping up every time I
> > > click OK, and I can do nothing but kill the whole process.
> > >
> > > How do I import my calendar?
> >
> > Hmm, what about this:
> > * Settings -> Configure KOrganizer
> > * General -> last tab (Calendar)
> > * Add Calendar
> > * Choose ICal file as type
> > * Selected file location
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> Thank you Kevin.  However I'm not seeing what you're seeing.  Mine is just
> called "Calendar" rather than KOrganizer, and I don't have the same settings
> that you do.  Certainly nothing I can use to attempt your solution.
>
> When I open my calendar's settings, the list of categories is general, time
> and date, views, colours and fonts, group scheduling, free/busy, plugins and
> custom pages.
>
> Perhaps I'm missing some package?

Hmm. Settings menu in the top menu bar has an entry "Configure KOrganizer" (or
similar, translating from a German localized oned).

It opens a settings window that has a "General" section.
In that I have four tabs, the last one is labelled "Calendar"

It list both of my two calendar sources and it has a three buttons, one
labelled "Add..."

Through that I get a list of possible calendar backends, one of the being
"ICal file".

Selecting that lets me choose a .ics file as the calendar source.

Help -> About Kontact says "Kontact shell 4.11.5"

Debian unstable, but there might be a newer version in the archives now.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring