non-themed kdm greeter text needs to be bigger

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Jul 20 13:47:41 BST 2014

Felix Miata posted on Sat, 19 Jul 2014 22:57:29 -0400 as excerpted:

> kdmrc makes obvious how to choose sizes for main greeter texts headline,
> std & fail. What's required to configure the greeter's menu text to be
> the same legible size as the std text?
> http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kde-workspace/kdm/configuring-kdm.html
> doesn't say. Is there an indirect way to make all greeter text sizes
> bigger without resorting to theming?
>
> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/KDE/greeterMousetypeKDE413.png

Looks like you figured out how to make a greeter screenshot (an earlier
question =:^).

While that looks readable to me, that's probably because I'm viewing it
on a 42-inch TV monitor, which tends to make most things readable. =:^)
Tho I must say it's not too bad on the 21-inch either.

Be that as it may, while I don't know the kde-specific technology, and
don't have a greeter installed here at all as I login at the CLI, one
general solution I've used to change font size in the past is to set X's
DPI, so it's not simply using defaults, which have changed over the
years, making settings that are optimized for one version either
unreadably tiny or unworkably huge on the next.  By telling X what
specific settings to use instead of letting it use the changeable
defaults, it uses the same settings regardless of the defaults in that
particular version.

The xorg setting in question is per-monitor and thus goes in the monitor
section of an xorg.conf.d file.  You actually set the viewable size (mm)
in width and height, which X then uses to calculate horizontal and
vertical pitch (DPI).  You can either add the following DisplaySize entry
to an existing monitor section in an existing conf file, or create a new
one with the entire monitor section, if necessary.  The file should go in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and be named something.conf, perhaps monitor.conf.

Section "Monitor"
	# choose an appropriate identifier
	Identifier "choose-an-id"
	# size of the picture area in mm