Cannot open kdewallet after upgrade to KDE 4.13.3

Cristian Ogrezeanu vmdesso at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 16:37:41 BST 2014

Hello,

I regularly copy my ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/kdewallet.kwl file to an
external drive to have a backup if something went wrong. Never had any
problem until a few days ago when I upgraded from 4.13.2 to 4.13.3. After
upgrading I went to ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet to manually backup as usual
and saw there was a new file named kdewallet.salt, which I had never seen
before (because it wasn't there before). In a moment of "genious" I just
deleted that kdewallet.salt file thinking it was just some temp file.
Clearly I messed up as now I can't open my wallet anymore, it won't take my
password and fails with "Error code -9: Read error - possibly incorrect
password.". I can't recover any copy of the wallet prior to the upgrade so
I'm stuck. All my passwords are in there and I know not what to do. I've
already tried opening the wallet on a system with KDE 4.11 but it fails
with "unsuported file revision" or something similar. Any ideas anyone ? :(