Restoring a KMail folder from a generic backup

David Goodenough david.goodenough at btconnect.com
Wed Jul 16 17:30:13 BST 2014

On Wednesday 16 July 2014 17:39:55 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2014-07-16, 15:10:48, David Goodenough wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 July 2014 05:43:10 O.Sinclair wrote:
> > > make sure you have hidden files visible - the subdirectories are now
> > > hidden
> > > mine are in /home/myuser/.local/share/.local-mail-
> > > directory/.whatevermailfolder (notice the dot in the beginning) and some
> > > of
> > > them are hidden folders, some not
> >
> > I have never quite understood why some files and directories inside .local
> > are hidden.  You only go into .local when you need to find some mail
> > manually, and having them hidden just seems to be done to make life
> > difficult for the user!
>
> It is not hidden, the hiding is a result of convention used by Filemanager
> and file managment tools when dealing with directory entries beginning with
> a period.
>
> The structure, i.e. using a subdirectory starting with a period to indicate
> a sub folder, is a widely used one when it comes to Maildir storage.
> Another very common implementation of that is Maildir++
>
> It is a form of disambiguation, e.g. protecting against a user creating a
> folder with names "new", "tmp" or "cur", which have special meanings in
> Maildir.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin
Kevin,

I understand that, but I think there is a little more to it that that.  Tools
like grep ... * do not search them (yes I know I can use grep ... .* but I
have to do that as well.  Most of the time I need to access these files to
find things, rather than to mess around with directory structures.

My problem is not I realise with KDE, but is with the whole mail community.
Its not a show stopper, just an nuisance which I could live without.

David